Monday, February 20, 2012

Day -4

Today has been another rough day for my mom. They finally got her nausea and vomiting under control. Yesterday she was pretty much throwing up every hour. If she wasn't throwing up, she was sleeping and not able to talk much. She finally said she would try Ativan, which she previously thought she might be allergic to. It helped a lot with the nausea though, and she didn't throw up again after. They also used a patch behind her ear to control the nausea. I just talked to my dad and he said she just threw up again because they hadn't given her the Ativan since last night but just gave it to her again. Unfortunately, although it helps a lot with the nausea, it makes her really groggy and out of it... She has been saying things that don't make sense. The nurse said if my dad leaves they have to put her on bed alert so they know if she gets up. This might not be the worst thing since she most likely will not remember today.

The good news is that today is the last day of chemo. I'm guessing she is receiving the last bag right now. Then she will have 3 days to recover. Hopefully the mouth sores don't come, but she hasn't been able to keep up with the mouth care these past two days. I don't know that it honestly helps that much anyway. They seem inevitable. The donor's cells will arrive on Friday. Keep praying for a smooth transplant process!

2 comments:

  1. I will keep your mom in my thoughts!!! she seems like a strong woman. Can they give zophran for her nausia? Rinsing the mouth is SOOO IMPORTANT you do not want to get the sores. it is really painful. HOWEVER if she does get it please let me know because my dad uses this oral gel called sock it (created by my previous boss) it seems to work really well on the sores and heals faster. http://www.sockitgel.com/Home.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, you made it through the chemo! Hoping you will have a better day today. I can't imagine all you've had to go through these past few months, you are so couragous and strong. Your family is amazing. Hugs. Lyn

    ReplyDelete