Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dec 8

 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4

My mom met with the bone marrow doctor yesterday. He was really positive. Basically he said the transplant is something that the doctors can't say 100% yes she should do it. However, with her type of lymphoma, it often relapses after people achieve remission. So, they believe her best shot at getting rid of it forever is to have the transplant after she finishes chemo. He said they have had good results by doing it this way and not waiting until the cancer relapses because then it becomes harder to treat.

They do have potential matches in the registry for her, which is great news. Now we are just hoping that at least one will be a perfect match and that the donors are still willing to give their cells. We definitely will still be doing the bone marrow drives because we want to make sure that other people can find matches as well and add as many people as possible to the registry. Over 10,000 people need a transplant and only half will get one. This number includes babies, children and adults. The next steps of them determining matches will be to have their potential matches come in and have a blood test done to see if they have at least 7 out of 8 things that match my mom's tissue. 8/8 would be the best case scenario.

My mom is beginning chemo again today. She is actually almost done. My dad just told me that her oncologist said they are very pleased with how she is doing and her LDH is back to normal, which is a good sign. This is the outpatient part, and she will be coming home once she is done and returning tomorrow, Sunday (for a white blood cell shot), and then again on Monday. We will be praying that she does not get a fever and can remain at home until her next treatment, which is on December 19th. That treatment is only supposed to be 2 days inpatient and we are REALLY HOPING she will be home by Christmas. But we know the most important thing is that she get the chemo and get rid of the lymphoma! Either way, we will be together on Christmas.

God is truly present in our lives each day, from the amazing people we meet to the small signs He gives us. We feel Him acting all the time! He is keeping us all strong, and I know there is a purpose for all of this. We will persevere!!

5 comments:

  1. Lots of prayers and love coming your way!! Stay strong and positive!!!!!!!!

    Steven Muller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers an thoughts continue for the Spicer family.Hoping all goes well an Julie can go back home soon after treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie,
    This is "Stock-O The Clown" (aka Mark Theriault) here. I'm so happy to hear that things are looking better for you. I'm also happy to see from this blog that you've raised such wonderful and loving daughters... can't say that I'm surprised though. I've always thought of you as a blueprint Mom. You must be so proud.

    Hard to believe that it was over 20 years ago when Shari and I found ourselves serendipitously next door to my fellow Cougars. We had some fun times back in those modest beginnings, didn't we? I remember dreaming that someday I'd have the bigger model house like you guys had. What was it, about 1600 square feet? I know you won't believe me, but I still reminisce about those times quite often - barbecuing Costco chicken wings (marinated in Costco Teriyaki sauce) in your driveway, playing basketball in your driveway... come to think of it, we did a lot of stuff in your driveway. People don't hang out in their driveways as much anymore, that's too bad... but I digress.

    I've never posted on a blog before. Maybe I'll do it again. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be... but please don't tell anyone. I don't want people thinking I'm one of those facebookers.

    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that Shari and I haven't forgotten about you. And we plan on coming up for a visit to celebrate with you and Tom after your FULL recovery... just as soon as you'll allow us. I'll be checking in regularly to see when. In the meantime, I hope you keep up the good spirits and enjoy the holidays the best you can.

    Yours truly,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie the 1st friend I meet here in Florida 34 years ago, playing in the refrigerator boxes they had out front for the trash. As we pulled up to our new home, the first words I heard was "Hi I am Julie" She was the 1st friend I had here- who would have thought a friendship could start out with just a box that had a very special person I was destine to meet... Our friendship grew and we grew. Then life took us in separate ways, but the love I have her has never changed...Our friendship has many stories still to tell, but the one that never waver's is the love I have her....So tell me where or what I need to do to be tested to see if I am a match for you. Much Love from me to you as my prayers are always for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing family you have to be there for you in everyway possible. You are truely blessed.
    We love you and are always thinking and praying for you all.
    Debs

    ReplyDelete